Police Motorcycles Outfitter
File under KTM Special-Bikes
Author: Mike Werner
Location: Normandy, France
It's not something you think about when you see a Police motorcycle or other vehicle (specially when they're stopping you for speeding ). But these Law Enforcement motorcycles and cars are often special versions that have been prepared by a specialist company.
One of these engineering/outfitting companies is California based Thunderworks. Thunderworks outfit all sorts of vehicles for law enforcement:
- Patrol vehicles and SUVs
- Public works vehicles
- Security vehicles
- Analog and digital in-car camera systems
- ATVs, motorcycles and electric vehicles
- Mobile command vehicles
- RV and trailer customization
- Bomb arson vehicles
- Undercover, Surveillance and Bait vehicles
I particularly wonder about the last vehicle; Bait ???? The mind boggles.
According to their website, Thunderworks have a special package for KTM motorcycles. Based on the successful KTM LC4 dual-purpose motorcycle, their TW/LE1 motorcycle is equipped with the works; lights, graphics, sirens, etc. Ready to catch the bad guys on and off road !
They also adapt the popular Honda ST1100 motorcycle for Police work.
Some of the work they do on motorcycles is the following:
- Emergency Warning (LED lighting, dual headlight strobes, side firing flashing halogen lights, dual 100 watt speakers),
- custom rear radio and lighting pod,
- custom crash bars,
- radar systems,
- auxiliary battery (you'll need that with all the electronics),
- integrated helmet communication system, etc, etc.
I wonder if these folks also get speeding fines ???
Click here to access their website.