Click here to go to the home page
Home About Us Shop Newsletter Send News Tip
Custom Search
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Google Plus Follow us on Linkedin Follow us on Pinterest Follow us on a RSS Feeder Follow us on Twitter Follow us on YouTube

  Click here to go to the motorcycles in the movies site


Foreign Motorcycle Riders and France (UPDATE)

  Posted at 10:15:00 AM
  File under  France Travel
  Author: Mike Werner
  Location: Normandy, France
click to see where France is on the map

Many are planning their holidays, and it might involve riding your motorcycle through France, so here's the scope about the recent law changes.


Alcootel testing

It's now official, the alcohol test units that every French car and motorcycle must have on board, is now mandatory for everyone who is on the French roads.

What this means, when you enter the French territory, you must have an alcohol testing unit with you. The unit can be any of the breathalysers available on the market, from expensive electronic units, to single use units that'll cost you 1-2 Euros. You can buy them on-line, or most gas stations here in France are selling them.

The new law states that you must have one on you (or in your car). It does NOT say that you have to use it. The French government is hoping that people will be responsible, and after having been drinking will test themselves to see if they are over the limit.

The new law becomes active starting the 1st of July 2012. Failing to have one, will result in a €11 fine.

Reflective Armbands

Motorcycle Hi Viz Band

Another law that has passed is making the wearing of reflective armbands, or reflective clothing mandatory. Although the law will be applied starting the 1st of January 2013, it has not been made clear whether foreign bikers are required to wear it. I have spoken with the press department of the government on this, and they can not tell us when, or if, this will be applied to foreign riders.

UPDATE: I have just received a phone call from the government's press relations department, and I have been told that ALL bikers when riding a motorcycle in France, will need to wear reflective colors on their jacket. So even if you are riding a foreign registered motorcycle, if you ride in France, starting next year, you will need to wear at the very least reflective color bands.

Reflective material worn on your body must be at least 150 cm2, day and night. If you are wearing for example and hi-viz vest, you're fine. When they decide whether foreign riders need them, we'll let you know.

Via: Minister of Transport

Add to Flipboard Magazine.

Article Comments
comments powered by Disqus

Technorati :

frame image

frame image

Click here for our free
daily/weekly newsletter

Special Articles

- Riding in France
- Getting your License in France
- How to lose your license in France
- Finding cheap fuel in France
-Dreaded French Signposts Fear Not
- Renting a motorcycle in France
- Biker Friendly Hotels in France
- Motorcycle Taxis in France

- Social Media of Famous Bikers
- Electric Motorcycles List

Content Copyrighted - click to read notice

frame image
Ads by Motorbiker                           
 Jafrum–Motorcycle Gear Experts

frame image

frame image

frame image

frame image

frame image

frame image
on this site!
Click here

  frame image

Check out my book:
Photographic visit ...
By Photographs &...
Disclaimer:All data and information provided on this site is for informational purposes only. makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis.

Privacy Policy

Admin Web Analytics