Overview: Suzuki Gladius Motorcycle
Posted at 11:01:39 AM
File under Exhibitions Suzuki New Products
Author: Mike Werner
Location: Normandy, France
At Intermot, Suzuki showed for the first time in public, their new general purpose, low cost, street motorcycle, the Gladius. For those of you who do not know Latin, Gladius means sword (ref link ).
The Gladius, or as it is known officially, the Suzuki SFV 650 Gladius, is an entry-level motorcycle that has the "Monster" look to it.
Here are the specifications:
- Compact trellis steel frame featuring 25 degree of rake and 104 mm of trail for stable and sporty handling with a beautiful look
- Front fender and radiator covers are color matched with the fuel tank covers and side covers, and contrast with the color of the fuel tank and frame color for a beautiful overall look.
- Chassis and bodywork are designed to be as slim as possible where the fuel tank meets the seat, the outside forward edges of the seat are rounded and features a low 796mm seat height. All to make the new SFV650 easier for entry level riders to comfortably put both feet on the ground when stopping and for maximum rider confidence.
- The carefully shaped seat has ample padding and the rear edges are bolstered to support the rider's hips well.
- Tubular handlebar shape and footpeg positions are designed to work with the seat position to add to rider comfort.
- Single rear shock is connected to the rectangular-section steel swingarm through a progressive linkage which allows the suspension to react smoothly to bumps and improve overall ride comfort.
- Rear shock spring is preload adjustable over a seven step range and rear wheel travel is 130 mm
- Front forks feature 41mm stanchions with spring preload adjustability over a 15mm range and front wheel travel is 125 mm
- Organically shaped multi reflector headlight incorporates high and low beams as well as a position light and flanked by chrome lens turn indicators.
- Compact combination tail and brake light is packaged neatly underneath the rear seat framed by stylish seat rails and also flanked by clear lens turn indicators
- Instrument cluster is positioned above the headlight and provides an analog tachometer, LCD digital speedometer, LCD dual trip-meters and odometer. An LCD digital clock, and LCD digital gear position indicator are also featured. Indicator lights include a two way remaining fuel warning lamp, backed up by an LCD digital reserve trip meter.
- Stylish 17 inch cast aluminum alloy wheels feature a new five spoke design with a 17 x 3.50 inch front wheel and a 17 x 5.00 inch rear wheel
- Dunlop qualifiers sport radials are fitted with a 120/70ZR17 front and a 160/60ZR17 rear tire.
- Dual floating front brake discs measure 290mm in diameter and work with dual piston calipers.
- Single 240mm rear disc brake disc works with a single piston caliper
- New European inspired styling treatment features sleek flowing lines and an unmatched elegant new look.
- Engine covers are updated to match the stylish new look of the SFV650 with edgy design elements
- Richly curved bodywork matches nicely with the organic flow of the footpeg mounting brackets.
- Front fender and radiator covers are color matched with the fuel tank covers and side covers and contrast with the color of the fuel tank and the color of the frame.
- Edgy lines of the frame cover on each side match the seat rail and engine cover detailing and compliment the shape of the chrome muffler cover
- An automatic Idle Speed Control (ISC) system is integrated into each throttle body, and produces stable idle while improving cold starting and reducing emissions immediately after start up.
- Each 39mm throttle body carries a 10-hole fuel injector. The extra-fine atomization injectors produce an average spray particle diameter that is smaller for improved combustion efficiency
- Suzuki Composite Electrochemical Material (SCEM) liner reduces friction and improves heat transfer, durability and ring seal
- SFV650 is powered by a sporty fuel injected, DOHC 90 degree V-twin engine based on the proven SV650 powerplant famous for its long term reliability, broad power and quiet rumble.
- 645cc displacement with a bore and stroke of 81.0mm x 62.6mm and a compression ratio of 11.5:1
- Each cylinder head features a compact combustion chamber with two 31mm intake valves set at 14 degrees from the cylinder centerline and two 25.5mm exhaust valves set at 16 degrees from the cylinder centerline.
- New single valve springs reduce inertia weight and mechanical losses while maintaining accurate valve control.
- Dual spark plugs cylinder heads feature iridium spark plugs reduce spark plug electrode degradation and allow the electrode to be finer producing a more intense, hotter spark and further enhancing combustion.
- Conventional pressed in iron liners are replaced with Suzuki's own race proven nickel-phosphorus-silicon-carbide coating (SCEM), which reduces friction and improves heat transfer, durability and ring seal.
- Increased low-to-mid range torque output as well as a broad and smooth power delivery are produced through changes in Cam profiles, valve lift, a 10% increase in crankshaft inertia, newly staggered intake and exhaust tract lengths and an increase in exhaust system volume. All this without affecting top end power.
- Clutch release mechanism is changed from ball-screw type to cam type system and the transmission gear engagement dogs are strengthened to help improve shifting of the six speed transmission. .
- To reduce mechanical noise, a scissor type primary gear is split length wise with the two halves spring loaded, and the clutch and countershaft sprocket covers are now double layered for additional sound reduction.
- New more efficient radiator is lighter and narrower, while the new liquid to liquid oil cooler reduces weight.
- Fuel pump is lighter and more compact and located within the 15 liter fuel tank.
- An oval throttle pulley helps smooth low rpm/mid-range power delivery
- SDTV fuel injection system uses two butterfly valves with the primary valve controlled by the rider and the secondary throttle valve controlled by the engine management system to maintain proper intake air velocity needed for maximum combustion efficiency and improved throttle response
- The newly patented Suzuki Idle-speed Automatic Control (SIAC) system is integrated into each throttle body, using internal passageways to eliminate external hoses and control valves. A notch machined into the secondary butterfly valve shaft precisely matches the volume of air flowing through the idle circuit with actual throttle position, producing stable idle while improving cold starting and reducing emissions immediately after start up.
- The engine is so efficient in burning fuel that it doesn't need a secondary system to inject fresh air into the exhaust ports to ignite unburned hydrocarbons.
- The SFV650 has a catalyst built into an exhaust chamber mounted underneath the engine and connected to a stylish upswept muffler.
|Engine: ||645 cc, 4-stroke, 2-cylinder, liquid-cooled, DOHC, 90 V-Twin |
|Bore Stroke: ||81.0 mm x 62.6 mm |
|Compression Ratio: ||11.5 : 1 |
|Fuel System: ||Fuel Injection |
|Lubrication: ||Wet sump |
|Ignition: ||Electronic ignition (Transistorized) |
|Starter: ||Electric |
|Transmission: ||6-speed, constant mesh |
|Primary Drive Ratio: ||2.088 (71/34) |
|Final Drive Ratio: ||3.067 (46/15) |
|Frame Type: ||Steel-truss |
|Overall Length: ||2130 mm (83.9 in.) |
|Overall Width: ||760 mm (29.9 in.) |
|Overall Height: ||1090 mm (42.9 in.) |
|Seat Height: ||785 mm (30.9 in.) |
|Ground Clearance: ||N/A |
|Wheel Base: ||1445mm (56.9 in.) |
|Dry Weight: ||202kg (446lbs) |
|Suspension ||Front: Telescopic, coil spring, oil damped |
Rear: Lynk type, coil spring, oil damped, spring preload 7-step adjustable
|Brakes: ||Front: 2-piston calipers, 290 mm disc, twin |
Rear: 1-piston caliper, 240mm disc
|Tires: ||Front 120/70ZR17M/C (58W), tubeless |
Rear: 160/60ZR17M/C (69W), tubeless
|Fuel Tank Capacity: ||14.5 L (3.8 US gal) |
|Color: ||Metallic Triton Blue/Glass Splash White|
Candy Red Magenta/Pearl Mirage White
Pearl Nebular Black/Metallic Lush Green
Pearl Nebular Black
There's even a Gladius web site from Suzuki. Click here to access it